My Work in Computer-Assisted Language Learning:
Education/Training related to CALL
- Doctoral thesis: “Developing ESL teachers’ professional knowledge through computer-mediated communication” (University of Nottingham)
- Certificate in Online Education and Training (Language Education) (University of London, Institute of Education)
CALL Courses taught at CUHK Faculty of Education
- Information and Multimedia Technology for English Language Teaching (a course on the MA in ELT programme)
- Computer-assisted Language Learning (a course on the BA + B.Ed programme)
CALL Presentations at International Conferences
(For a full list of his publications, go to https://paulsze.wordpress.com/presentations/.)
- The Second Future of Education Conference (Florence, Italy; June 7-8, 2012)
- The Second Asian Conference on Technology in the Classroom (Osaka, Japan; April, 2012)
- The 7th International Conference on ICT in Education, University of Minho, Portugal (May 12-13, 2011)
- The 4th International Conference of the Center for Language Studies, National University of Singapore, Singapore (December 2-4, 2010)
- The 8th Malaysia International Conference on English Language Teaching (May 11-13, 2010)
- The 21st World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications; organised by AACE (Honolulu; June 22-26, 2009)
- The 3rd International Conference of CLaSIC, National University of Singapore (Dec 6, 2006)
CALL Presentations in Hong Kong
- 2017-03-17: “Flipped learning and e-learning: A sample project for Primary 4”; Staff Development for the English Dept., Bishop Ford Memorial School.
- 2017-01-26: Sharing on e-learning experience in teaching; a joint sharing event between the Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Medicine, CUHK
- 2017-01-12: Enhancing the teaching of writing with technology; Staff development workshop for the English Dept., QualiEd College.
- 2017-01-09: “Flipped learning and e-learnng: A sample project for Primary 4”; Staff development workshop for the English Dept, Ng Clan Association Primary School.
- 2017-01-05: “Flipped learning and e-learning: A sample project for Primary 4”; Staff development workshop for the English Dept, Tsung Tsin Primary School and Kindergarten.
- 2016-12-10: “Flipped learning and e-learning: A sample project for Primary 4”; seminar organised by OUP for primary school teachers of English.
- 2017-12-03: “Technology-enhanced writing instruction”; a seminar organised by OUP for secondary school teachers of English.
- 2016-05-26: “Get ready to enhance students’ language awareness through e-learning”; seminar organised by OUP for primary school teachers of English.
- 2016-03-05: “Playing by the rules: e-learning for enhancing students’ grammatical competence and language awareness”; a seminar co-presented with Ms Jenny Leung; organised by OUP for secondary school English teachers.
- 2015-08-28: “Enhancing ELT with technology”, staff development workshop for the English Department, Sacred Heart Canossian School, PM
- 3 workshops for KS2 and KS3 teachers of English on “Metalinguistic training – concepts, strategies and eTutor exemplars” in June and July, 2014; organised by the Education Infrastructure Division, Education Bureau, Hong Kong Government. Co-presenters: Ms Flora Leung and Ms Karen Law of the Education Bureau.
- A seminar titled “Developing Autonomous Learners through Language Awareness Training: the Use of eTutor Resources” for the English Department, Fung Kai Secondary School; July 7, 2014.
- ‘Developing Students’ Listening Skills with Technology and E-resources’ (2013-06-19): a seminar for secondary teachers of English, organised by Yan Chai Hospital Wong Wha San Secondary School
- 2012-9-28 Presentation, with Professor Icy Lee, at the Professional Development Day of the English Schools Foundation (ESF). Attended by English teachers from ESF Secondary schools. “Digital Storytelling: What’s in it for students? And for teachers?”
- On digital storytelling at a seminar for secondary English Language teachers, organised by CUHK Faculty of Education (July 2012)
- Taught 2 technology-enhanced reading comprehension lessons at Buddhist Chi King Primary School (April 23, 2012)
- On technology-enhanced oral enrichment activities at a seminar for primary and secondary English Language teachers; organised by Man Kwan Education Foundation (March 2012)
- On digital storytelling at a workshop for the English Dept., Tai Po Methodist Primary School (March 2012)
- Conducted a workshop on digital storytelling, with Ms Olive Cheung, for English Language teachers; workshop organised by the ELiTE knowledge transfer project, CUHK
- On digital storytelling at a seminar for secondary English language teachers; organised by the ELiTE knowledge transfer project, CUHK.
- On digital storytelling, with Ms Olive Cheung, at a seminar for teaching staff at CUHK; organised by the Centre for Learning Enhancement and Reseearch, CUHK (Oct 22, 1010)
- Seminar: “eLearning Pedagogies for the English Language curriculum”; organised by HKEdCity for Learning and Teaching Expo 2010.
- “Promoting collaborative eLearning in the Primary English curriculum through Web 2.0 activities”; a seminar for primary English teachers; organised by Dept of Curriculum and Instruction, CUHK
- Two presentations at the Research Symposium of the Center for IT in Education, HKU (March 3, 2010)
- On digital storytelling for teacher development; a seminar for colleagues at the Dept of Curriculum and Instruction, CUHK (Nov 5, 2009)
- A workshop on digital storytelling for the English Dept., Sacred Heart Canossian Primary School (Oct 21, 2009)
- On using wikis for organising resources for teaching and research; a seminar for teaching staff at CUHK; organised by Centre for Learning Enhancement and Research, and IT Services Centre, CUHK (Oct 17, 2008)
- A seminar for secondary English Language teachers: “Developing students’ listening and speaking skills through ELT podcasting”; organised by the Dept of Curriculum and Instruction, CUHK
- A talk on “Fun with Radio Drama” for all S4 students, Methodist College, Kowloon.
- Presented a paper on wikis for collaborative writing at the IT in Education Symposium; organised by HKU CITE
- Seminar on using wikis for collaborative writing; organised by the WrITE and KSC projects, CUHK
- Seminar on podcasting and radio drama for English Language and IT teachers in secondary schools (with Dr Pun Sai Wing); organised by the Dept of Curriculum and Instruction, CUHK (8 July 2006)
- Seminar on “Using ELT podcasts in English Language teaching” for secondary English Language teachers; organised by Dept of Curriculum and Instruction, CUHK
- Departmental lunchtime seminar on “using video clips as triggers for teachers’ online discussion’ (with Prof Dave Coniam and Prof Eunice Tang) (9 Nov, 2005)
Major Projects and Services (Previous and Current)
- Current project: A Courseware development project funded by CUHK for designing 8 modules using the Flipped Classroom model for delivering the course PGDP5102
- Consultancy for the Centre for Language Education, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, for a A project to enhance the Writing ePlatform for Assessment as Learning. Project commissioned by Education Bureau, Hong Kong Government.
- Principal Investigator for a teacher-development website for English Language teachers on synthetic phonics instruction (http://caite.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/phonics/)
- Principal Investigator for an online lesson observation platform for primary English Language teachers in Hong Kong (http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/pelt/) (password required)
- Founding Chairperson, Basic Competency Assessment Test Development Committee (Primary), HKEAA. (An online courseware platform in support of BCA of the Education Bureau, Hong Kong.)
- Paper reviewer for several international journals for manuscripts related to CALL.
- Founding member, eLearning Forum, Hong Kong
- Developer of a podcast titled Teachers’ Stories: http://paulsze.podomatic.com/
- Developer of a Youtube channel on digital storytelling by teachers and students: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstpaulsze/
- Designed and implemented a collaborative writing project using wikis at a secondary school in Hong Kong (please email me for project URL)
- Designed and taught 2 CALL lessons with two S1 classes at a secondary school in Hong Kong. The 2 lessons took place in a “one netbook to each student” setting.
- Designed a joint video-conferenced English lesson between a P5 class in Hong Kong and a P4 class in Foshan, Guangdong.
- A series of language awareness lessons using iPads; project being piloted with a P5 class at a primary school.
- http://zh-cn.padlet.com/wall/4jjbezwxcw for a sample lesson design.
- To see my Delicious bookmarks, go to: https://delicious.com/paulsze
My contact information:
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Name on Facebook and LinkedIn: Paul Sze